Thursday, March 17, 2011

Rock My World

It's my new obsession...sheetrock.

Frankly I feel a little freaked out that while I have been watching the web-cam of the construction of the new addition, there has been a frenzy of activity in the existing building. My 17-year old daughter would say I am "hovering" or a control freak, but the construction camera doesn't tell the whole story. I can't seem to get other there fast enough to track all the progress in the existing building-it's like a huge beehive. Just a few short weeks ago, most talented photographer Lori Ushman and I were strolling around open floors, weaving in and out of metal studs. And now I find out the construction has progressed to a stage where the walls are about 2/3 sheetrocked (or as they say in the trade, rocked).

What the heck? I'm not mentally prepared - I've been looking at paper plans for so long I get woozy.

So yesterday I drove over to the site, pulled on my Wellington boots and walked up to the third floor. Yup, the walls are up in the Interior Design studios, faculty offices and the department office. I stood in the new space specifically for critiques, nestled in between two studios. It's wicked cool.

My world is officially rocked.