Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Grateful Dead meets Human Ecology

My husband would be so proud - well truth be told he would be stunned - that I am using a classic Grateful Dead lyric from "Truckin'" to headline this post. Some day I will tell you the story of the only Dead concert I attended. Let's just say I am more of a "Talbots" girl than the tie-dye, twirling peasant skirt type and Purell hadn't been invented yet. 'Nuff said there!

Lately I've been thinking about what might be next. We will welcome a new dean on August 27 and a new crop of undergraduate and graduate students. New memories will be created and fresh ideas will percolate.

Okay while I think of it - percolate reminded me that we do not have agreement (yet!) with the Union to run our cafe. Percolate = coffee = Mama's happy. I've had a ton of questions about the cafe and we are at a standstill on negotiations. Stories best told in person.

Did I tell you about accidentally meeting Dr. Shim our new dean? It was during construction and the building was closed - we were having problems with security and seriously, students were trying to drop off papers. No kidding, we had a student actually scale the construction fence to try and drop off a form for Student Academic Affairs. I don't know what I admire more - the physical agility or the tenacity that no fence is gonna stop them from meeting a deadline!

Any-who...I was up in the cafe area trying to convince my colleagues at the Union that the cafe would be a money-maker when I look up and see a person walking with great purpose through the second floor. I knew she wasn't a contractor, design team member or anyone I had worked with. But darn she was moving fast - by the time I excused myself from my meeting saying "can I help you?"  she had cut down a secondary corridor. Crap, I lost her! Oh well, I tried.

So imagine my surprise when I learn about a month later during her official visit the unregistered visitor was OUR NEW DEAN! Nice move Zwicker, way to make an impression.

Welcome aboard Dr. Shim - I look forward to working with you but expect I will spend a fair amount of time just trying to keep up!

"Sometimes the lights all shinin on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been."