Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Key Area

It wasn't until I started on this project that I came to appreciate the role keys play in my everyday life. A key still starts my car (working towards a Prius), unlocks my office and secures a bike lock. I use special limes for key lime pie, work on a keyboard, write key points for a presentation and about twenty years ago, I gave my husband the key to my heart.

Fast forward to this time next year when we are in the new building....the days of issuing keys to hundreds of students will be gone and in its place - card access.

Security and access is important - the safety of students and staff was a major topic for the Building Committee. During peak times of the semester undergraduate students will be working at all hours to complete a class project, graduate students may be pushing hard to meet a funded project deadline - we are not a group that fits nicely into a 9-5 scenario.

The beauty of card access is the ability to quickly grant (or remove) access without having to handle a key. With a few short keystrokes (you can boo) the facility manager will be able to add or remove access priviledges for anyone with a valid WISCARD.

For those who "pooh pooh" card access thinking students will just prop open the door, we've got you covered. Each door with card access is connected to the campus Police so if a door is open for more than the allowed time (it's wicked short) then an alarm is sent to Police. The data will show the last person to swipe their card...you see where I am headed. This is serious business.


My key ring is getting lighter - now all I have are keys to the car, my house and suite at work. And guaranteed, I'll still forget where I put them.